This article was originally imported and modified from Wikipedia.
note that there might be some changes on one or both sites and the article might now look very different from both sites (7 May 2021)
|Kajang High School|
SMK Tinggi Kajang
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Type||National secondary school|
|Motto||Labor Omnia Vincit |
Berilmu, Berdisiplin and Berjaya
|Established||17 March 1919|
|Grades||Form 1 - Form 6|
The Kajang High School (Malay: Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tinggi Kajang), better known by its abbreviation of KHS in English and SMKTK in Bahasa Malaysia, is a national secondary school (Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan) located in the town of Kajang, municipality of Kajang Municipal Council (Majlis Perbandaran Kajang), Malaysia. It is the oldest school in Kajang and the district of Hulu Langat when the first block was erected at Mile 14 Cheras Road (Jalan Cheras), (located at latitude 2°59'37.49"N and longitude 101°47'45.65"E) opposite Jamek Mosque of Kajang.
The former site is a vacant lot that held satay stalls in 1903 CE and later shifted to its permanent site at beside of Semenyih Road, a hilly area where the first block (Blok Utama) was constructed.
History[edit | edit source]
Kajang High School was established in 17 March 1919. It was originally known as Government English School Kajang. The original location was the old Government Rest House near the Kajang Police Station. There were 70 students at the time.
The school was established by by Taukeh Ng Bow Thai, Allahyarham Raja Alang, Mr. Arumpalan, Mr. V.Sabapathy and Mr. Gan Boon Teik. They sent an application form to the government to establish an English school in Kajang district. This plan was started since 1916.
At the beginning of this school accept students for Remove and Lower Secondary. The staff consists of one principal and three teachers. This number increased with the number of students to be admitted.
The subjects taught are English, English literature, geography, history, mathematics, algebra, geometry, drawing, writing and hygiene. At the end of the year students will sit for Junior and Senior Cambridge examinations held every year at the Town Hall, Kuala Lumpur.
The school moved to its new location covering 11.3 hectares eleven years later. Its name was changed into Kajang High School. The present main building was inaugurated by DYMM Sultan Alaiddin Suleiman Shah K.C.M.G Sultan Selangor, on 1 April 1930. During this time there were 402 students.
In 1932, enrolment increased by 403 people and has turned into an examination center for the first time since its establishment. By 1933, the number of students dropped to 318 people only because of the Great Depression. Before the war, the number of classes does not exceed 13 and the change of teachers was rarely happen. Teachers worked one or two hours a day in school.
During the Japanese occupation of Malaya, the school building was taken over by the Australian army as a residence. Operations of the school was relocated to Kajang Convent and running in the afternoon.
From 6 December 1941 to 12 September 1945 school building became the headquarters of the Japanese army "Toa Seinen Gakko". Once again the school was relocated to the Nasional Cinema (now a karaoke center). Then it became the first Teacher Training College in the country. All the books from Raffles College were moved here. After the war ended in 1945, the books were sent back to Raffles College (Singapore).
Luckily the school was not suffered any damage during World War 2. After the war, the number of students increased rapidly. Many students who attended school in 1941 has been back to school in 1945.
Science was first introduced in 1946. At this time a science lab has been set up. At first only theoretical studies were taught. After that two classes were turned into Science Laboratory.
On 7 April 1955, a primary school (which is separated to 1 and 2) was opened by DYMM Sir Hishamud’din Alam Shah K.C. M.G. Sultan Selangor. The Sultan of Selangor. Number of students this year has risen to 1143 compared with an average of 300 people in the days before World War Two.
In 1958, the Kajang High School was divided into two separate parts, Primary and Secondary Schools, and the school administration was also separated.
In the same year, a workshop for vocational subjects was completed. The first batch of students to pursue studies were initiated when the Comprehensive Education system is introduced. Additional classes built in early December 1964 for teaching Industrial Arts.
The school hall was repurposed as a library with the name Low Ti Kok library, named after one of the founders of Kajang High School. It was officiated by YB Encik Abdul Rahman bin Haji Talib (Minister of Education Federation of Malaya) on 30 July 1960.
A science block was officially opened on 23 July 1970. Pure science classes for Form 4 were first opened in this district.
To accommodate students who live far away, a small hostel was built out of wood which houses about 90 students. Construction of the new hostel building began in 1972 and completed in 1973 and was officially opened on 1 July 1975 by Mr. Chan Sang Chang on behalf of then Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad. The was named Tun Dr. Abdul Aziz Hostel. However, the hostel caught fire in April 1998 and has since undergone renovation and repairs, as of 2015 is still operating for students from Selangor and other states.
By 1982, the school consists of 11 blocks of 31 classrooms, four science laboratories, 4 rooms carpentry, 1 library room, 1 hall, 2 canteens and hostels.
On 2 June 1988, a new building block containing eight classrooms was used to accommodate a floating classroom that has been around since 1982. The school also built a Surau named "Al-Rahman" and was inaugurated on 13 February 1993. A wooden building has also been turned into concrete building starting in October 1994. At the end of 1998, the work of building another block of four storey building has commenced.
Motto[edit | edit source]
The school motto is Berilmu, Berdispilin and Berjaya meaning Knowledge and Discipline empowers Success.
From the 1920s to 1970s the Latin motto was 'Labor omnia vincit' meaning 'Work conquers all' or 'Hardwork overcomes all difficulties.'
References[edit | edit source]
- The Editorial Board,. Gemilang, Diamond Jubilee. Malaysia: Sincere Press Sdn. Bhd.
- Kajang High School Editorial Board, (1999). Gemilang. 66th ed. Selangor, Malaysia : Sincere Press Sdn. Bhd.
- Low, Y.K., . Kajang High School. Viewed on 2 March 2011. Available from http://kajangtown.blogspot.com/2007/04/kajang-high-school.html.