|Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan St Thomas|
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Type||All-boys secondary school, cluster school|
|Founder||Rev Father Louis Guittat|
|Feeder schools||SK St Thomas|
History[edit | edit source]
The history of Saint Thomas School can be traced back to 1910, where a priest named Anthony Duvelle bought a plot of land in Jalan Gambut for $100 and later on he built a church named "Saint Thomas Church".
Saint Thomas School was established by Rev. Father Louis Guittat in 1950 in the premises of Saint Thomas Church. At first it was a private school, it became a governmental aided school in 1953.
Secondary education was opened in 1956 in an old building built with attap. A 3-storey school building was completed in 1961 and the opening ceremony hosted by then Sultan of Pahang, Almarhum Sultan Abu Bakar Ri’ayatuddin Al- Mu’adzam Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Abdullah in 18 June 1961.
During 1962 to 1967, a private school was started and managed by the secondary school, and the school accepted female students for the first time.
In 2013, St Thomas Church decided to take back the land of the school. Due to land disputes the school was facing a close down. In 2014, the primary school SK St Thomas was moved to SK Teruntum and the secondary school SMK St Thomas was moved to SMK Sultan Abu Bakar, both schools temporarily sharing the facilities. In 2017 it was announced that the school will be relocate to Kemunting. There was a plan to rename the schools, but was opposed by the past and present students.
The original site in Jalan Gambut was then turned into Regent International School.
References[edit | edit source]