|Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seri Garing|
Jalan Kuala Garing
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Type||National secondary school|
|Motto||Tekun Jujur Jaya|
History[edit | edit source]
SMK Seri Garing was originally known as Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Inggeris) Rawang. It was established in 1959, with a transition class (peralihan) under Government English School (now SK Sinaran Budi). It was a comprehensive school at the time with primary and secondary education under a school building.
Due to the rising number of students, the school temporary borrowed classes from SJK (C) San Yuk and a premise owned by Blue Circle Club. In 1966, the new school building was completed and started operation.
The second phase was completed in 1968 with 16 classrooms and a science lab. At the same time, the school was relocated fully to the premise. In 25 March 1969, the school was officially opened by then Minister of Education, Mohd Khir Johari.
In 1977, a competition was held to give the school a new name. A student named Hazemi bin Sidek suggested to rename it as Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seri Garing with the short name SEGAR, and he won and got approved. The school named Seri Garing because it is located in Jalan Kuala Garing. The abbreviated name SEGAR (meaning "fresh" in Malay) symbolize something fresh and blooming. The school was renamed because the new education policy states that English-medium schools needed to be changed to Malay-medium, and the former name did not show whether it is primary or secondary school.