|Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Shih Chung Cawangan|
7, Lebuh Nipah Dua, Sg. Nibong
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Type||National-type Chinese primary school|
|School district||Timur Laut|
History[edit | edit source]
Shih Chung school was established in 1908 by Hakka Association of Penang. The original name was Chung Wah School (崇华学堂). During the early years the school reside in Penang Chinese Town Hall. In 1920 the school relocated to Love Lane.
Due to the rising number of students, a branch school was established on 1938 in 11, Northam Road.
During the 1950s, the total number of students in the main school and branch school reached its peak at nearly 1000 students. However, since the 1970s the number of students started to decline as the population at the town centre migrated to the newly developed suburbs.
Because of the declining number of students, the school needed to relocate to another location. In December 1996 the new school site in Sungai Nibong started construction. The new school building was completed in 1998 and began operation in 1999. Another building started construction in 2000 and completed in 2003.
Starting from 2005 the school operates with morning and afternoon sessions. The number of students had risen to over 1000 students with over 30 classrooms.
The school was granted "Cluster School of Excellence" in 2013 and "High Performance School" in 2017.
School song[edit | edit source]
Old school building[edit | edit source]
The old school building in Northam Road is left abandoned until today. Although there are plans to restore the building, however no actions had been done yet. It is also said to be haunted, as the Japanese used the building as an administrative headquarters, and there are rumours that people were tortured and executed in the building.