|Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Shang Wu|
Jalan La Salle
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Type||National-type Chinese primary school|
|School district||Timur Laut|
History[edit | edit source]
The history of SJK (C) Shang Wu can be traced back to the "Five Prosperity School" (Chinese: 五福书院), which is the oldest Chinese school in Malaysia. It was established by Ng Fook Thong Cantonese Districts Association in Ng Fook Thong temple in 1819. At first it was located in Church Street, and it was relocated to Chulia Street on 1895.
SJK (C) Shang Wu was established in 1909 as a night school that offers trading and business management. The school started as an official educational institution in 1912. The school was located in Gelugor. Initially classes were held in the morning, starting from 1938 afternoon classes were started due to increasing number of students. The school closed in 1941 due to Japanese invasion.
In 1945 after the Japanese surrendered, the school resumed its classes with morning and afternoon sessions. In 1958 the school became a government-aided school.
During the 1950s the number of students decreased as many families moved out of the town centre to newly built residential areas in suburban areas. In 1970, the school accepted an offer from the La Salle Christian Brothers to occupy the land of the former La Salle School in Air Itam. The three-storey new school building was completed in 1970 and started operating in the new location on 1971 (some sources stated it was 1977).
School song[edit | edit source]